- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 4 quarts cold water, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place beans in a Dutch oven with 2 qts. water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse. Return beans to Dutch oven; add remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Transfer beans to an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish, add the remaining ingredients and 1-1/2 cups of reserved liquid; stir to combine.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved liquid as needed. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Picnic Baked Beans
Sort By :
"If you like Bush's baked beans you'll love this! I had never made this before and it was a wonderful surprise at how delicious it is! I had pinto beans instead of navy beans and they were great! This is a 5 star recipe for sure!"
"very good, I do not measure ingredients for dishes like this very often but thought I would try it this time only changed two things. added some extra dry mustard and some smoked paparika."
"In response to fujitanis3: were your dried beans old perhaps? Never use beans that have been sitting in the pantry for who knows how long. I personally use beans within a month of purchase. Also to keep beans tender, I add salt toward the end of the cooking time like this recipe states, never at the beginning during presoaks or the initial cooking. Some people disagree about the salt but I have had consistent success this way.jfgan, the recipe does start by soaking the beans, but the method used is a quick soak, an alternative to an overnight soak. As indicated, always drain the soaking liquid, as it removes some of the sugars that cause digestive problems. A second quick soak can help even further in this regard.Keep experimenting and don't give up - beans are so good for body and soul!"
"I have made these for family get togethers and their never seems to be any left. It does make a big crock pot full."
"This is a perfect recipe for a large picnic. The baked beans were delicious and a big hit with my family and friends."