Pickled Zucchini Slices Recipe
- 8 cups sliced zucchini
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, onions and pepper; sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours; rinse and drain.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour over zucchini mixture; cover and let stand 2 hours.
- 3. Transfer to a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Carefully ladle hot mixture into five hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 pints.
1/4 cup equals 31 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Pickled Zucchini Slices
"Good flavor, but not as crunchy as I would prefer. I'm wondering if it would work better as a refrigerator pickle instead."