Pickled Veggie Salad Recipe
“One year I created this recipe to use up an overabundance of brussels sprouts. My family asked for seconds, so now this tangy side is a staple on our Thanksgiving menu.” —Bobbi Ballantine, Grove City, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + marinating YIELD:14 servings
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Cut an “X” in the core of each brussels sprout. Place 1/2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add brussels sprouts. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and vinegar to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the water chestnuts, olives, tomatoes, pimientos and lemon juice.
- 4. Drain brussels sprouts; cool slightly. Cut into quarters and add to vegetable mixture. Add sugar mixture and remaining oil; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 14 servings (1/2 cup each).
1/2 cup equals 114 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC