Pickled Veggie Salad Recipe
“One year I created this recipe to use up an overabundance of brussels sprouts. My family asked for seconds, so now this tangy side is a staple on our Thanksgiving menu.” —Bobbi Ballantine, Grove City, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut an “X” in the core of each brussels sprout. Place 1/2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add brussels sprouts. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and vinegar to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the water chestnuts, olives, tomatoes, pimientos and lemon juice.
- Drain brussels sprouts; cool slightly. Cut into quarters and add to vegetable mixture. Add sugar mixture and remaining oil; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 14 servings (1/2 cup each).
Originally published as Pickled Veggie Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p27
Reviews for Pickled Veggie Salad(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2010
When I see pickled I think sour, this was the opposite. Too sweet for me. The brussels sprouts were fun to use. Won't make again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Salad Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Salad Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Salad Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Salads >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Salad Recipes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Salad Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >