Pickled Tomato Salad
I've been cooking for my family for 40 years and love to experiment with different recipes. You may want to add a can of kidney beans for variation.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, green pepper, onion and basil; set
- aside. In a saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Reduce
- heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pickling spices; cool to room
- temperature. Pour over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate at least 1
- hour before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 97 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.