Pickled Sweet Peppers
I'm nearing the age of 80 and still love to can my homegrown produce. I call this recipe "Summer in a Jar." The peppers have a nice combination of tart and spicy flavors.Edna Clemens, West Branch, Michigan
53 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Process: 15 min.
- 4 to 6 large sweet red peppers, cut into strips
- 12 banana peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- Pack red and banana peppers into four hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2
- in. of the top. Divide the onion, garlic and oil among jars.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15
- minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- Yield: 4 pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 ounce equals 13 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,