Pickled Sweet Peppers Recipe
I'm nearing the age of 80 and still love to can my homegrown produce. I call this recipe "Summer in a Jar." The peppers have a nice combination of tart and spicy flavors.—Edna Clemens, West Branch, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Process: 15 min. YIELD:54 servings
- 5 large sweet red peppers
- 8 banana peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1. Cut red and banana peppers into strips, discarding seeds. Pack peppers into five hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Divide the onion, garlic and oil among jars.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over pepper mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 pints.
1 ounce equals 13 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC