Pickled Sweet Onions Recipe
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt and toss. Let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to remove excess liquid.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, combine vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil. Add onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 half-pints.
2 tablespoons: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Pickled Sweet Onions
"This easy recipe has become a quick family favorite! Onions are usually available all year long so I just can as I need to."