Pickled Sweet Onions Recipe
These slightly crunchy pickled onions are not only a great gift for Christmas, but also a terrific contribution to a backyard barbecue as a relish for burgers and hot dogs. —Laura Winemiller, Delta, Pennsylvania
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt and toss. Let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to remove excess liquid.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, combine vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil. Add onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 half-pints.
Reviews for Pickled Sweet Onions
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC