Pickled Sweet Onions
These slightly crunchy pickled onions are not only a great gift for Christmas, but also a terrific contribution to a backyard barbecue as a relish for burgers and hot dogs. —Laura Winemiller, Delta, Pennsylvania
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt
- and toss. Let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to
- remove excess liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, combine vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Add onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10
- minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving
- 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if
- necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars;
- screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are
- completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10
- minutes. Remove jars and cool. Refrigerate remaining relish up to 1
- week. Yield: 4 half-pints.