Pickled Sweet Onions
These slightly crunchy pickled onions are not only a great gift for Christmas, but also a terrific contribution to a backyard barbecue as a relish for burgers and hot dogs. —Laura Winemiller, Delta, Pennsylvania
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt
- and toss. Let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to
- remove excess liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a
- boil. Add onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Refrigerate remaining
- relish for up to 1 week. Yield: 4 half-pints.