- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt and toss. Let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to remove excess liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, combine vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil. Add onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 half-pints.
Originally published as Pickled Sweet Onions in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p65
Reviews for Pickled Sweet Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 24, 2014
"This easy recipe has become a quick family favorite! Onions are usually available all year long so I just can as I need to."