Pickled Sweet Onions Recipe
These slightly crunchy pickled onions are not only a great gift for Christmas, but also a terrific contribution to a backyard barbecue as a relish for burgers and hot dogs.
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place onions in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with canning salt and toss. Let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain onions, squeezing to remove excess liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vinegar, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil. Add onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Refrigerate remaining relish for up to 1 week. Yield: 4 half-pints.
Originally published as Pickled Sweet Onions in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p65
Reviews for Pickled Sweet Onions(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review