VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 bunches rainbow Swiss chard
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Trim leaves from Swiss chard; save for another use. Cut stems into 2-in. pieces; place in a large heatproof nonreactive bowl. Add onion, pickling spices, celery seed and mustard seed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and water; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring to dissolve sugar; pour carefully over chard mixture. Cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, overnight, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pickled Rainbow Chard in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016