This flaky moist salmon is topped with a delightful homemade tartar sauce and chopped sweet peppers. "This entree goes well with rice pilaf, seasoned rice or scalloped potatoes," says Fred Richard Day of St. George, Utah (with wife Joyce, above). "Add a colorful vegetable, a green salad, rolls and dessert, and you have a gourmet meal for two."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 salmon steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dill or sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dill pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon Catalina salad dressing
- Chopped sweet red and green pepper, optional
- In a large skillet, combine the water, pickle juice, salt and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Add salmon; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, relish, pickle juice and salad dressing. Serve over salmon. Garnish with red and green pepper if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pickled Poached Salmon in Taste of Home April/May 2004, p48