Making your own pickled peppers is so easy and you will never have to buy store-bought peppers ever again. They are so delicious.—Ball brand and Kerr brand home canning products
64 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Process: 10 min.
- 4 quarts long red, green or yellow peppers (Hungarian, Banana, etc.)
- 1-1/2 cups canning salt
- 4 quarts plus 2 cups water, divided
- 10 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Cut 2 small slits in each pepper. Dissolve salt in 4 quarts water.
- Pour over peppers; let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Drain;
- rinse and drain thoroughly.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic and remaining
- water; bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Remove garlic. Pack
- peppers into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Carefully
- ladle hot liquid over peppers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air
- bubbles with a non-metallic utensil. Adjust lids. Process 10 minutes
- in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 8 pints.
Editor’s Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.