Pickled Pepper Relish Recipe
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Place the peppers, chilies and onion in a 2-cup glass container; set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Ladle boiling liquid over pepper mixture. Stir in the bay leaf, allspice and coriander. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Drain pepper mixture; discard bay leaf. Transfer to a serving bowl; stir in vinegar mixture. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 1 cup.
1/4 cup: 36 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Pickled Pepper Relish
"if you would use peter peppers in place of the jalapeno pepper, it will really kick it up a notch."