"I've been experimenting with pickle making for years, and I’m still trying to create the ultimate pickle," writes Margaret Berardi of Bridgeport, Connecticut. Keep this relish-like topping on hand all summer in the fridge.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- In a small bowl, toss onion with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 1
- hour. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic,
- mustard seed, mustard, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until sugar
- is dissolved. Stir in onion; simmer 3 minutes longer or until onion
- is heated through, stirring often.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Cool to room temperature. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve with a
- slotted spoon. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 28 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 123 mg sodium,