Pickled Mushrooms for a Crowd
Serve tangy pickled mushrooms alongside a steak, as an appetizer with picks, in a salad or as part of an antipasto platter. However you present them, you can’t go wrong!
90 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 3 pounds medium fresh mushrooms
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons bitters
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, combine mushrooms and water. Bring to a boil;
- boil for 1 minute. Drain; return mushrooms to pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a
- boil, stirring constantly. Pour over mushrooms; cool slightly.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to glass jars with tight-fitting lids.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days. Just before serving,
- discard bay leaf. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen (6 cups mixture).
Nutritional Facts: 1 pickled mushroom equals 7 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.