Serve tangy pickled mushrooms alongside a steak, as an appetizer with picks, in a salad or as part of an antipasto platter. However you present them, you can’t go wrong!
- 3 pounds medium fresh mushrooms
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons bitters
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, combine mushrooms and water. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Drain; return mushrooms to pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over mushrooms; cool slightly.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to glass jars with tight-fitting lids. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days. Just before serving, discard bay leaf. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen (6 cups mixture).
Originally published as Pickled Mushrooms for a Crowd in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p166
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Pickled Mushrooms for a Crowd
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review