When I'm left with green tomatoes at the end of summer, I reach for this recipe. Friends and family are so happy to receive the sweet-sour relish that they often return the empty jar and ask for a refill!—Mary Gill, Florence, Oregon
- 7 pounds green tomatoes (about 20 medium)
- 4 large onions
- 2 large red onions
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 teaspoons canning salt
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 4 teaspoons mustard seed
- Cut tomatoes, onions and peppers into wedges. In a food processor, cover and process vegetables in batches until finely chopped. Stir in salt. Divide mixture between two strainers and place each over a bowl. Let stand 3 hours.
- Discard liquid from bowls. Place vegetables in a stockpot; stir in vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until thickened.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into eight hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 pints.
Originally published as Pickled Green Tomato Relish in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p230
Reviews for Pickled Green Tomato Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review