When I'm left with green tomatoes at the end of summer, I reach for this recipe. Friends and family are so happy to receive the sweet-sour relish that they often return the empty jar and ask for a refill!—Mary Gill, Florence, Oregon
- 7 pounds green tomatoes (about 20 medium)
- 4 large onions
- 2 large red onions
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 teaspoons canning salt
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 4 teaspoons mustard seed
- Cut tomatoes, onions and peppers into wedges. In a food processor, cover and process vegetables in batches until finely chopped. Stir in salt. Divide mixture between two strainers and place each over a bowl. Let stand 3 hours.
- Discard liquid from bowls. Place vegetables in a stockpot; stir in vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until thickened.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into eight hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 pints.
Originally published as Pickled Green Tomato Relish in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p230
Reviews for Pickled Green Tomato Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2015
"My husband helped me can this and we were blown away by how indescribably delicious this is!"