Pickled Green Beans Recipe
This recipe produces zippy little pickles and preserves my green beans for months to come…if they last that long. I crank up the heat a bit with cayenne pepper. —Marisa McClellan, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons dill seed or 4 fresh dill heads
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 1. Pack beans into four hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Add cayenne, garlic and dill seed to jars.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 pints.
8 green beans equals 9 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC