Pickled Eggs and Beets
This is a popular dish, especially at Eastertime when hard-cooked eggs are abundant.—Ellen Benninger, Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced beets
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves, optional
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, shelled
- Drain beets, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to measure
- 3/4 cup; place in saucepan. Add sugar, vinegar, cinnamon stick and
- cloves if desired; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Place eggs in a bowl; top with beets. Pour liquid over all. Cover and
- chill for 4 hours or overnight. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves
- before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 142 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 212 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.