Pickled Carrots Recipe
The trick to pickled carrots is cooking them just long enough to retain a harvest-fresh "snap." These tangy treats are terrific for perking up a buffet table or relish tray or serving alongside a hearty sandwich.
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch julienne strips
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches), broken
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, whole cloves and mustard seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool; pour over the carrots.
- 3. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Discard cloves and cinnamon. Serve carrots with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 103 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC