- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch julienne strips
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches), broken
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, whole cloves and mustard seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool; pour over the carrots.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Discard cloves and cinnamon. Serve carrots with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Pickled Carrots in Country Woman September/October 2001, p31
Reviews for Pickled Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 4, 2012
I've been making a similar recipe for years using a sugar substitute. I don't use mustard seed and I use 2 cinnamon sticks and 6 cloves. I keep a container of them in the fridge for a quick snack or to serve with sandwiches.