Pickled Carrot Salad Recipe
"Years ago, we enjoyed chilled pickled carrots in a restaurant," recalls Pat Walter of Pine Island, Minnesota. "They were so good I hunted through my cookbooks until I found a similar recipe. It's a refreshing change from traditional picnic fare."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain
- 2. Transfer to a serving dish. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over carrots; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 309 calories, 28 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 630 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC