Pickled Carrot Salad
"Years ago, we enjoyed chilled pickled carrots in a restaurant," recalls Pat Walter of Pine Island, Minnesota. "They were so good I hunted through my cookbooks until I found a similar recipe. It's a refreshing change from traditional picnic fare."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 pound carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- crisp-tender; drain
- Transfer to a serving dish. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid,
- combine remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over carrots; toss
- to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve
- with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 309 calories, 28 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 630 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.