Everyone around here knows me for this colorful, tasty dish. I serve the peppers with a lot of meals and other times I'll turn it into a salad for a weeknight cookout. —Heather Prendergast, Sundre, Alberta
- 2 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- In a large glass bowl, combine peppers and onion. Place pickling spices and celery seed on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, water and spice bag. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute. Transfer spice bag to pepper mixture. Pour vinegar mixture over top. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Discard spice bag. Refrigerate pickled peppers up to 1 month. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Pickled Peppers in Country Woman July/August 1998, p33
Reviews for Pickled Bell Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review