"THE BEETS Mother served with this meal came from our garden and were canned for the winter months. Even as a child I loved beets because they brought so much color to our table. Their tangy flavor is a great complement to the rest of the foods in this meal. —Sara Lindler, Irmo, South Carolina
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 medium fresh beets
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven; add water
- to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30
- minutes or until tender. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and
- slice; place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice and
- salt. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Pour over beets. Refrigerate
- at least 1 hour. Drain before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 71 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.