Pickled Asparagus Recipe
These tangy spears make a great addition to a relish tray. Field editor Marie Hattrup of Sparks, Nevada, shares her easy recipe.
- 9 quarts water, divided
- 16 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a stockpot, bring 6 qts. of water to a boil. Cook asparagus in batches, uncovered, for 2-1/2 minutes. Remove and rinse in cold water.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, combine the vinegar, salt, pickling spices, garlic and remaining water; bring to a boil. Pack asparagus in quart jars to within 1/2 in. of top.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot quart jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 8 quarts.
1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 7 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC