Picante Beef Roast
Before putting in the slow cooker, trim the fat from the roast to avoid greasy gravy. If your roast weighs 3 or more pounds, cut it in half to ensure even cooking. Margaret Thiel - Levittown, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), trimmed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl,
- combine the picante sauce, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; pour
- over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking
- juices; transfer 3 cups to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the
- pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy equals 267 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 983 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a