Phyllo-Wrapped Pesto Chicken
Chicken breasts can be a little too plain for holiday dinners. I decided to dress them up by topping the pesto and cheese and then wrapping in phyllo dough. There's nothing ordinary about them!—Gail Humfeld, Newark, Delaware
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x 9-inch size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 jar (10 ounces) basil pesto
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Brush two phyllo sheets with butter; stack one sheet on the other.
- Brush top with butter. Form five additional stacks.
- Flatten chicken; place one piece of chicken on each phyllo stack,
- with the long side of chicken 1 in. from the long side of the
- phyllo. Sprinkle with pepper. Place 2 tablespoons pesto on each; top
- each with a slice of cheese. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over
- chicken; fold in short sides and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Brush with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50
- minutes or until chicken juices run clear and pastry is golden
- brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 799 calories, 50 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 186 mg cholesterol, 906 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 58 g protein.