Chicken breasts can be a little too plain for holiday dinners. I decided to dress them up by topping the pesto and cheese and then wrapping in phyllo dough. There's nothing ordinary about them!—Gail Humfeld, Newark, Delaware
Recommended: 32 Lunches To Spice Up Your Workday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x 9-inch size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 jar (10 ounces) basil pesto
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Brush two phyllo sheets with butter; stack one sheet on the other. Brush top with butter. Form five additional stacks.
- Flatten chicken; place one piece of chicken on each phyllo stack, with the long side of chicken 1 in. from the long side of the phyllo. Sprinkle with pepper. Place 2 tablespoons pesto on each; top each with a slice of cheese. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over chicken; fold in short sides and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and pastry is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Phyllo-Wrapped Pesto Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p50