- Meanwhile, cook ziti according to package directions for al dente.
- Drain and return to pan. Stir in cheese, eggs and 1/4 cup butter.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter.
- Layer with 9 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep
- remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to
- prevent it from drying out.) Cut phyllo stack crosswise in half;
- place one stack in each of two greased 8-in.-square baking dishes.
- In each dish, layer 2 cups pasta mixture and 1 cup sauce. Repeat
- layers. Prepare a second stack of 10 phyllo sheets, brushing each
- with butter; cut in half and place one stack over each dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15
- minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time to 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.