My son loves macaroni and cheese, and I’m always looking for ways to sneak in some veggies. This version is a huge hit! —Jennifer Berry, Lexington, Ohio
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) frozen Steak-umm sliced steaks, browned
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder, steak seasoning and onion powder.
- Drain macaroni; add to sauce mixture. Stir in steak. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle fried onions over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Philly-Style Mac and Cheese in Simple & Delicious February/March 2012, p24
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Philly-Style Mac and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2012
"My husband hates mac n' cheese, but he LOVED this! I was pleasantly surprised!"