- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 small green peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 small sweet red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 submarine buns, split and toasted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- Freeze steak 1 hour until firm but not frozen.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and pepper sauce; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender; remove and keep warm.
- Place bun bottoms on a baking sheet, cut side up. Remove steak from freezer; cut into thin slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In same skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add beef in batches; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- Layer bun bottoms with meat, onion mixture and cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Philly Cheesesteaks
Sort By :
If the meat was marinated first in a simple herbs & garlic etc. blend I think the sandwich would have had better flavor. My family thought this needed a marinara or a garlicky cheese sauce.
The cheese just over powers.
I made this in my slow cooker as well. Very tasty and not that much work. My kids weren't crazy about it, but that just meant there were plenty of leftovers for the grown ups!
These were so delicious. My husband even had seconds! I followed the recipe, but put the meat and vegetables in my slow cooker and cooked on med./low for 4-5 hours. I also used Havarti cheese instead of cheddar. Will make these again and again!