Okay, okay. We said mushrooms weren't just for pizza--but you must admit, the two go together pretty well. Anne Zirkle of South Riding, Virginia adds mushrooms to this combination of her husband's favorite foods. "This pizza is an ideal busy weeknight recipe," she writes.
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place crust on a 14-in. pizza pan; set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in oil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add beef and mushrooms; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Drain. Stir in the seasonings.
- Spread meat mixture over crust to within 1/2 in. of edge. Combine the cheeses; sprinkle over pizza. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Philly Cheesesteak Pizza in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p51
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review