Philly Cheese Fakes Recipe
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, green peppers and onion. Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to coat.
- 2. Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
- 3. Divide mushroom mixture among buns and top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 344 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 681 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Philly Cheese Fakes
"it was great ilove it"
"absolutely amazing! the smoked paprika is wonderful, i had never used this spice before... but it was fabulous!! I have found a new favorite meal!!"
"Could not find shiitake mushrooms, so I just grabbed the only fresh mushrooms we could find in our rural grocery store (don't know what kind they were). My husband wasn't a fan--the thought of a vegitarian meal was too much for him--but I though it was great! Made it for Mom too & it went over well. A creative take on an old favorite!"
"This is such a good recipe! My daughter, who "hates mushrooms" just loved it! She didn't know it had mushrooms in it! I would make this again in a heartbeat!"
"This was so good, my husband didn't even mind that it was meatless."
"made this last night with a few alterations... I didn't have lemon and couldn't find the paprika I just bought (grrr) and shitakes are too expensive for MY pocketbookso I used cremini mushrooms - I tossed the veggies with olive oil, salt & pepper and a splash of worcestershire - then did everything else the same EXCEPT I was afraid it wouldn't have enough flavor without the lemon and paprika - so I made garlic bread out of the roll and toasted itI REALLY liked this for a quick meatless meal - I will totally make it again!!"
"Could not find shitake mushroolms, so used portobellas instead. They turned out delicious and the vegetarian in the family got a big kick out of the name."