Philly Beef 'n' Pepper Strata Recipe
“Here’s a mouthwatering entree for brunch, lunch or dinner that’s quick to fix,” promises Betty Claycomb of Alverton, Pennsylvania. “It combines several convenient ingredients for a large casserole that’s pleasing to all who try it.”—Betty B. Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
- 7 cups cubed Italian bread
- 3-3/4 cups julienned sweet red, yellow and/or green peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound cooked roast beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place a third of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with a third of the peppers, onion, roast beef and cheese. Repeat layers twice. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 268 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 188 mg cholesterol, 477 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC