I learned creative ways to prepare game while cooking for hunters at a lodge in Alaska, where my husband was a guide. Everyone enjoyed this savory stir-fry. It looks as good as it tastes.
—Darlene Kenning, Hutchinson, Minnesota
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 boneless skinless pheasant breast (about 3/4 pound), cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup each julienned carrots, celery and onion
- 1 cup frozen snow peas
- Hot cooked white or wild rice
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger and
- bouillon until blended. Add water; set aside. In a skillet or wok,
- stir-fry pheasant in 1 tablespoon oil for 3-4 minutes or until no
- longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Stir-fry broccoli and carrots for 2
- minutes. Add the celery, onion and peas; stir-fry until the
- vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir soy sauce mixture
- and add to the skillet; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Return meat to pan and heat through. Serve with rice.
- Yield: 4 servings.