While it sounds fancy, this dish is easy to make. And if you don’t have pheasant available, you can substitute chicken for an equally delicious main course. —Julie Anderson, Wausau, Wisconsin
- 1 pheasant or broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place pheasant in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Combine the next eight ingredients; pour over pheasant. Sprinkle generously with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally. Sprinkle again with paprika before serving. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Originally published as Pheasant in Cream Sauce in Country Woman November/December 1994, p35
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Pheasant in Cream Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review