- vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and
- salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with
- buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool
- completely. Trim 1/2 in. from edges of cake. Cut cake horizontally
- into two layers; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cream; let stand
- for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is
- completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool to room
- In a large bowl, beat gelatin mixture and remaining cream until it
- begins to thicken. Add Nutella; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer on a cutting board; spread with whipped cream
- mixture. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream and
- espresso granules just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until
- Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache
- reaches a spreading consistency, about 30 minutes. Spread over top
- of cake. Cut cake into 1-in. squares; top each with a hazelnut.
- Yield: 8 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Cakes can be made a day in advance. Place each cake in a miniature muffin cup liner and place in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 67 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fat.