Peter Rabbit Cake
No bunny will be able to resist a slice of this adorable dessert. Baked and decorated ahead of time, the coconut-topped cake makes an eye-catching fitting finale to any Easter feast.
12 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1-3/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Assorted jelly beans
- 1 stick black licorice, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch strips
- Mix and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased
- and floured 9-in. pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For bunny's head, place one cake on a 20-in. x 14-in. covered board.
- Cut remaining cake into two ears and one bow tie (see Fig. 1). Place
- ears 4-in. apart on top of head. Place bow tie so it fits in curve
- of head (see photo).
- Frost top and sides of head, ears and bow tie. Sprinkle 1-1/4 cups
- coconut over head and ears. Divide remaining coconut between two
- resealable plastic bags; add red food coloring to one bag and green
- to the other. Seal bags and shake to coat. Place pink coconut on
- ears to within 1/2 in of the edges. Place green coconut around the
- Use jelly beans for eyes, nose and to decorate bow tie. Cut the
- licorice into seven 2-in. pieces and seven 3/4-in. pieces. Place six