Peter Pumpkin Cheese Puffs
You, too, can be "Peter the Pumpkin Eater" from the classic nursery rhyme when you prepare a batch of these fluffy and tender cheese puffs that look like mini pumpkins. Romano cheese gives them a nice tang and their cream cheese stems complete the seasonal look. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 drops yellow paste food coloring
- 1 drop red paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 20 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, stems removed
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and vinegar. Cover and
- refrigerate. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt
- to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the yellow and red food coloring; stir
- Romano cheese and food coloring into dough. Add eggs, one at a time;
- beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is
- smooth and shiny.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- to a wire rack to cool.
- Using a star tip and reserved cream cheese mixture, pipe stems onto