Peter Peter Pumpkin Bars Recipe
Sweet tooths will polish off these wonderful bars. They have a delicious orange frosting and can be decorated with candy pumpkins.—Barb Schlafer, Appleton, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Candy pumpkins
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the shortening, confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange peel until blended. Frost bars; cut into squares. Top with candy pumpkins. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 174 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC