- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Candy pumpkins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange peel until blended. Frost bars; cut into squares. Top with candy pumpkins. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Peter Peter Pumpkin Bars
"I had prepared this recipe when these bars were featured in Taste of Home. My adjustments are as follows: I'd used 1/2 tsp. salt and 3/4 cup of solid pack canned pumpkin.I'd used a 12x8" greased and floured baking pan and baked 30 to 35 minutes. Use a cake tester to determine that bars are done. This is a really nice pumpkin bar for especially fallseason recipes! However, I've used pumpkin recipes whenever I have pumpkin available!Thank you for sharing this recipe! delowenstein"
"I always sign up for bringing treats twice in October to our church's after service fellowship. And, I alternate making these pumpkin bars and the Cranberry Bog bars, also from TOH. Definitely a big hit."
"This is one of those recipes that needs more then 5 stars!! Everybody love it!!!! I did make one change, I made a cream cheese frosting instead of the orange frosting. It was a big hit, will be making this again, probably tonight!!!!"
"I love these bars, they are like mini versions of carrot cake, only with pumpkin instead. The fall flavor of the spices is incredible."
"we make these each Halloween and they're always a hit!"
"I have a dairy allergy and needed to make some snacks for an adult party. Thinking there would be nothing else for me to eat there (and I was correct), I was excited when I stumbled upon the recipe. It was not a hit- no one who tried a bar ate more than a few bites because they were pretty disgusting. I am an intermediate level and avid baker so I can say with confidence that I followed the recipe to the letter. Prior to cooking the cake batter had a disgusting bitter aftertaste yet after baking the cake tasted moist and no longer bitter. It was nothing exceptional but it was fine. The disgusting part was the icing. It has an orange cough syrup taste and the shortening made it taste "off" and greasy. I would never make this again, I don't even know where to begin tweaking it. If you make, find another frosting recipe."
"Excellent! They are moist and flavorfull. The whole family loved them. Definitely will make again, and again, and again."