- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Candy pumpkins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange peel until blended. Frost bars; cut into squares. Top with candy pumpkins. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Peter Peter Pumpkin Bars
Sort By :
"I always sign up for bringing treats twice in October to our church's after service fellowship. And, I alternate making these pumpkin bars and the Cranberry Bog bars, also from TOH. Definitely a big hit."
"This is one of those recipes that needs more then 5 stars!! Everybody love it!!!! I did make one change, I made a cream cheese frosting instead of the orange frosting. It was a big hit, will be making this again, probably tonight!!!!"
"I love these bars, they are like mini versions of carrot cake, only with pumpkin instead. The fall flavor of the spices is incredible."
"we make these each Halloween and they're always a hit!"
"Love this recipe. I quadruple it so I can use the large can of pumpkin. I put in chocolate chips 2 c. For quadruDpled it in two large jelly roll sheet cake pans and then cut and freeze. I use butter instead shortening. I don't use frosting. Everyone loves it."