Pesto Veggie Stacks Recipe
This recipe was developed out of desperation as I tried to keep up with the prolific "Great Green Zucchini" from our garden. My two daughters would start snacking on these before I could get them to the table. Even finicky vegetable eaters enjoy them. —Kathy Provost, Troy, New York
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 8 slices eggplant or large zucchini (3-1/2 inches diameter)
- 4 slices tomato (3-inch diameter)
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1. Place the first five ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add 1/2 cup oil in a steady stream until combined. Set pesto aside.
- 2. Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in the flour, then in eggs, then roll in crumbs. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet; fry eggplant in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Place four eggplant slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each with a tomato slice, 1 tablespoon cheese, 2 teaspoons pesto and remaining eggplant. (Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto for another use). Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 260 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC