Pesto Tuna Melts Recipe
A tangy Italian twist on tuna salad, this cheesy open-faced sandwich from Nancy Monroe of Statesville, North Carolina is a fuss-free standout. Pair it with a cup of hot soup or chips for a tasty lunch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) tuna
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices (1 ounce each) part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- 1. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and broil 2 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- 2. Combine pesto and mayonnaise; spread over toasted bread. Top with tomato, tuna, pepper and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 sandwich (prepared with light water-packed tuna) equals 329 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 613 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC