- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- For pesto, in a food processor, combine the basil, Parmesan cheese, pickle, vinegar, mustard and garlic; cover and process until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream; process until blended.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread two-thirds of the pesto inside shell; layer with beef, cheese, tomato and spinach. Spread remaining pesto over cut side of bread top; place over sandwich. Cut into slices to serve. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now