In this scrumptious sandwich, I dress up deli roast beef with a fast-to-fix pesto.
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- For pesto, in a food processor, combine the basil, Parmesan cheese, pickle, vinegar, mustard and garlic; cover and process until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream; process until blended.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread two-thirds of the pesto inside shell; layer with beef, cheese, tomato and spinach. Spread remaining pesto over cut side of bread top; place over sandwich. Cut into slices to serve. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Pesto Roast Beef Sub in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p208
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Pesto Roast Beef Sub
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review