My husband is an avid hunter, so we enjoy lots of game, But when I cook chicken, this is the recipe I turn to. Pesto, cheese and mushrooms make it special. —Jennifer Tomlinson, Hamilton, Montana
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 5-10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, for pesto, combine the basil, nuts, garlic, salt and Parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor; cover and process until well blended. While processing, gradually add remaining oil in a stream. Spoon over chicken. Top each with a slice of mozzarella. Sprinkle mushrooms around chicken. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pesto Mushroom Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p63
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pesto Mushroom Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review