Pesto Minestrone Recipe
Natalie Cataldo relies on store-bought pesto to provide mild flavor to this chunky tortellini and vegetable soup. "It's a hit in my house," says the Des Moines, Iowa cook. "If you don't like zucchini, use another vegetable," she suggests.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, mixed vegetables, broth, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 2. Add the tortellini, zucchini and pesto. Simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes longer or until pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 337 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,063 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC