Pesto Meat loaf Recipe
This is one of my favorite meat loaf recipes. The salsa gives it just the right amount of tang, and if you grow basil, the pesto is a tasty way to use it.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- MEAT LOAF:
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Place pesto ingredients in the order listed in a food processor; cover and process on low speed until a paste forms.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six meat loaf ingredients; add pesto. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, draining off fat if necessary. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pesto Meat loaf in Country August/September 1997, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pesto Meat loaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Meatloaf Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >