Pesto Chicken Pizza Recipe
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 each small green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon oil, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the remaining flour; beat until combined.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, peppers and mushrooms in remaining oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 4. Punch dough down; roll into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Spread with pesto. Top with chicken mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt.
Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze unbaked pizza. To use, unwrap pizza; bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Yield: 8 slices.
1 slice: 293 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
Reviews for Pesto Chicken Pizza
"Wonderful! I am a pizza lover esp homemade and love to cook. Everyone raved about it. If you haven't tried the Artisan Fresh pesto from SAMs Club, try it, like homemade. In refrigerator section by cheeses. Can freeze leftover sauce if needed."
"I love chicken pizzas and this recipe was a winner! Although I always find homemade crusts to be labor-intensive, so sometimes I take a shortcut and get store-bought. Here is another really good chicken pizza recipe that I've made in the past: http://perdueyummersummer.com/recipes/easy-bbq-chicken-pizza/31/"
"Delicious! I didn't have mushrooms, & I added caramelized onions - fantastic!"
"This pizza is the bomb!! We love this pizza. I add yellow & green zucchini to mine."
"My husband said it was the best pizza we've had!"
"Left off the mushrooms (didn't have any) and added some Montreal chicken seasoning to the chicken and veggies. Loved it! Pesto added an excellent flavor!"
"My family thought the flavors were pretty good but instead of slices of peppers they need to be diced and instead of cubed chicken maybe shredded. I think some of the flavors got lost due to to large of chicken and peppers"
"This was the best pizza I ever made."
"It was not bad but little bit blind and the crust was dry and the edges are very hard."
"Amazingly good! This is a keeper!"
"Very Yummy!!! The crust was perfect and my family loved it. I think next time I will experiment with different toppings."
"Delicious! Crust was excellent. I did brush the edges of crust w/ garlic powder & olive oil. I also added sun - dried tomatoes in w/ the other veggies."
"I used a pizza crust mix rather than from scratch. This is very good and has become one of our favorites."
"I used a store bought crust and this pizza was still delicious!"
"Amazing. Just amazing. This will be a regular in our house."
"My family loves this pizza. It's definitely one of our favorites now."
"IT WAS THE BEST PIZZA EVER! I loved it. This is now my favorite pizza.If you like pesto and tomato's than you will love this recipie."
"This pizza is very good. The crust recipe is one of the best I have tried."
"I made one like the receipe, and on another my husband suggested to put fresh garlic on it. It was seriously the best pizza I have ever eaten!"
"This was amazing! I added fresh tomatoes on top and boy was it tasty!"
"FANTASTIC!! We will make this for Super Bowl Sunday next week!"
"Made this for company and received rave rewiews! This is wonderful and I cheated with making a package crust! Will try the yeast crust next time! I loved the pesto!"
"My family and I enjoyed this one! It's a nice change of pace for a group of pizza lovers."
"This is now one of my favorite recipes. I used a store bought pizza crust which made this wonderful dish extra easy to prepare. My family loved it."
"Made this for my family and they absolutely loved it. The dough was nice and thick. I added more of the veggies to the chicken mixture though.My husband said it is the best pizza I have ever made! We'll definitely make this again!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.