Pesto Chicken Pizza Recipe
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 each small green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon oil, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the remaining flour; beat until combined.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, peppers and mushrooms in remaining oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 4. Punch dough down; roll into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Spread with pesto. Top with chicken mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt.
Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned.
Freeze option: Bake pizza crust as directed; cool. Top with all the ingredients as directed and securely wrap and freeze unbaked pizza. To use, unwrap pizza; bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Yield: 8 slices.
1 slice equals 293 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.