These pesto-filled chicken roll-ups from our Test Kitchen can be served warm as an entree of cooled and sliced for an elegant appetizer.
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- For pesto, combine the first six ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto to within 1/2 in. of the edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; secure with a toothpick or small metal skewer.
- Place chicken in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or meat is no longer pink. Remove toothpicks or skewers. Serve warm as a main course.
- For an appetizer, cool for 15 minutes, then refrigerate until chilled. Cut cold chicken into 1/2-in. slices. Yield: 4 main course or 12-16 appetizer servings.
Originally published as Pesto Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p226
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Pesto Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review